Hi all,

We seem to have run out of steam on our discussion.  Maybe we are all too
stretched or busy at this time.  I did want to share one exciting
development.  I went to an institute put on by a long time (40 years)
charter school that is quite progressive in its practices: e.g. Multiage,
theme/project based, workshops etc.

One of the sessions was led by the two K/1 teams.  And it was the Awakening
the Heart ideas from Georgia Heard.  I think they got it via Lucy Calkins
professional development ­ her series on teaching writing K-2.   They credit
Heard¹s book too in their materials.

They shared the poetry stations and the children¹s poetry that emerged.  It
was wonderful and inspiring. And it was clear that poetry was in these
teachers¹ hearts in the way they talked about poetry and their children!!
We talked about how the focus on poetry spilled over into all of writing
workshop.

So I¹ll leave you with that.  Let¹s see if any more discussion comes up.
I¹ll try to get one more burst of energy this evening for chapter 3:  Where
does poetry hide?  This chapter focuses on the children writing their own
poetry.

Otherwise hoping all of you will move forward into deepening poetry in your
classrooms.  Maybe we will want to come back to this at the end of the year
to share what we found!!

Sally