I would also love to hear how people respond to this.

--- On Wed, 2/22/12, Laura Hance <lthanc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Laura Hance <lthanc...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [MOSAIC] PARCC Extended Reading & Common Core Standards
To: "Mosaic: Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group"
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Date: Wednesday, February 22, 2012, 4:26 PM

Hi everyone,
My name is Laura. I am an Academic Coach in Arkansas.  Our district is working
on creating a curriculum that meets the requirements of the Common Core State
Standards in Literacy.  Our guideline is to use the PARCC model for the pacing
of instruction.  In the PARCC model, it suggests an extended text for each
quarter.  This has brought about a lot of confusion and debate for us!  Many
teachers take it as we are to purchase a copy of the extended text for every
child in the class and require them all to read it.  Another group believes the
extended text is similiar to an anchor text or mentor text and used to design
instruction around it.  Using excerpts from the book rather than a must all
read.  I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this issue.

Thanks,
Laura Hance
Academic Coach
Central Math & Science Magnet