Regarding phonics instruction- has anyone ever heard of SIPPS? I have been
using it for several years. It allows me to assess students and work with small
leveled groups. Although the lessons are laid out I don't really think of it as
a program because I just use and adapt what is appropriate for my students. I
meet with each group for only about 15 minutes, and I have found that it is
very easy for me to build on when I am conferring in reader's and writer's
workshop or doing guided reading lessons.