From: mosaic-bounces+mfoltermann=denisonisd....@literacyworkshop.org
[mailto:mosaic-bounces+mfoltermann=denisonisd....@literacyworkshop.org] On
Behalf Of Linda Rightmire
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 11:26 AM
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] professional development -- Teacher as Researcher

Renee wrote:

>I think the best and

most effective professional development is teachers talking among themselves
about what works in their classrooms.

<snip>

>What if teachers were given time to meet every single week for an hour
of sharing? I can't imagine any "official" professional development program
that could do a better job. Imagine veteran teachers sharing their expertise
with new teachers, new teachers sharing new ideas and enthusiasm, and the
tweaking of these ideas that could happen under such circumstances. Teachers
are not given this time. Instead, they are sent off to the district office or
some conference where they often don't want to be, often don't pay that much
attention because their thoughts are back in their classrooms, and where much
time is wasted on such things as "getting to know each other" openers and a lot
of "lecturing to" the teachers.

Hi Renee,

I agree teachers need time to meet every week. Some high schools here
creatively schedule so there's a collaborative block every Wednesday. I agree
there'd be value in what you suggest.

I just want to point out research on pro d. and also another good option.

In the Anita Archer way of "I do it, we do it, you do it" (just kidding but not
entirely), research suggests that when teachers are taught a method or skill,
they need chances to practice it (soon if not instantly) and then feedback on
how they did, etc., chance to revise and so on. [Reflective practice -- what we
all want?] Think of all the workshops you've attended that have great ideas but
then "the handout" sits on your desk (to plan it, do it) and then a month later
it's an inch deep on your desk and you are thinking, "Hmm" and "how did that go
again?" So, effective pro d. builds this in, including teacher talk time.

Another format that is simply "the best" I have observed as to power, teacher
buy-in, longterm commitment and so on, is "Teacher as Researcher". I worked as
a district consultant for a number of years, offering workshops (not mandated,
people give their own after school time, but sometimes for school based or
district based pro d. days) and helping teachers in their classrooms. I've seen
lots of pro d. come and go!

We had an outside facilitator present Teacher as Researcher to a group of a
dozen primary teachers who worked in pairs (or threes). Each would have their
own question/search, but structurally we paired for the talking-thinking. (In
my opinion, this is much more productive than around the table talk; some
people are quieter, and so on.) Teachers devised their own projects based on a
perceived need in their own classrooms. Teachers were given one full sub day
then two halves, by the district; this took place over a period of three months.

Concrete example -- and how your topic might change a little as you explored
it. Three kindergarten teachers were working together. They'd noted their
students didn't seem to play in the way of "dramatic play" in the playhouse
that they wished. They thought they were focussing on oral language development
-- they were, but it took its own direction from there. In their attempts to
devise "something better" than just random attempts by the teacher to visit the
playhouse during centres time, to scaffold better language, they ultimately
built "prop boxes" that went with a variety of activities -- from specific folk
tale themes (Goldilocks) to restaurants to action figures (those toys the boys
used to like). It was actually the action figure dead end play that inspired
this -- the dramatic play seemed very limited and consisted of boys smashing
action figures together.

So they set about teaching/practicing whole group/developing specific language
and play extensions with each box as it was introduced at the circle time (one
only, for a few weeks, etc.).

My point being not this great activity that I loved and used later when I
returned to the classroom! ;-)  But Teacher as Researcher is a *structured*
format that enables teachers to explore their own needs -- "What do I most want
to change in my classroom? What am I most dissatisfied with?" etc.

The Pursuit of Excellence people talk about "simultaneous tight-loose
properties" and I think this structure *pushes* teacher's thinking (and
deciding) in a way that open-ended teacher visiting (and talking about their
problems and their kids) does not.

A quick google shows lots -- and reminds me this is also called Action
Research. Maureen Dockendorf of Vancouver was our facilitator and here's her
academic work on it --
http://labyrinthsociety.org/research-bibliography/4203-within-the-labyrinth-facilitating-teacher-research-groups

A quote from that page describes the benefit of the structural *push*:

without the external voice of the facilitator, contexts for ... dialogue have
the possibility of becoming nothing more than a retelling of incidents that
occur consistently in the dailiness of teaching. Without the external
facilitator, teacher research groups may become rooted in process at the
expense of substance. The rigorous conversations and the rethinking of practice
may be in jeopardy of being replaced by sessions in which teachers are
emotionally and socially supported, yet changes in practice are not viewed as
vital.

I think everyone's interested in improving their practice in specific ways, and
in having choice to determine what's crucial "right now".

Thanks,
Linda Rightmire
SD #73 Kamloops, BC