We benchmark with the Universal Screenings. That's one flag. Then we take into consideration teacher observations/classroom data and the NECAP (standardized test for the region), recognizing it tests in the fall over last year's (and past) learning. Unfortunately, the results aren't available until the spring, so that's pretty useless for intervention purposes. That will change with the CC assessments, as info will be available immediately. We use diagnostic testing after deciding that the data shows student need. Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment System is a powerful diagnostic tool. I use other tools as well to pinpoint phonics or multi-syllable weaknesses. The F&P BAS has decent comprehension information, and we can look at trends using that information.

When you say 'essential skills' that were taught over the specific period of time, are you referring to the skills that the diagnostic testing would show a student needs? That's what's considered Progress Monitoring. I try to tailor the PM to the intervention. Sometimes the PM depends on the grade level or developmental level of the student. In many cases, running records are good PM's. I hope this makes sense.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Foltermann, Marsha" <mfolterm...@denisonisd.net> To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group" <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 11:46 AM
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Benchmark Testing

In my district we assess three times per year and call it Benchmark Testing. (Not sure that everyone actually uses the same definition.) The testing is to assess strengths and primarily weaknesses of our students so that we can reteach and provide tutoring where necessary. We are supposed to be testing primarily over the essential skills that were taught for that specific period of time. I think I am probably asking an impossible question to most of you because I am from Texas, and we are one of the five states that have not accepted the Common Core Standards for ELAR. I often refer to the Common Core Standards and our standards in Texas ARE very similar so think we could certainly use the same assessment!
Mrs. Marsha Foltermann
6th grade, ELAR
903-462-7307
For a conference, please call the office:  903-462-7200

mfolterm...@denisonisd.net