I have never been convinced that this is true. For every "study" that supports this, there is an anecdote of someone for whom reading did not "kick in" until later than third grade. And... phonics is only one small part of reading anyway, AND I am fully convinced that more reading develops better decoding skills.

Developing as a reader can be such a vicious circle. If you can't read well, you don't like to read, and if you don't like to read, you don't get better at reading. Conversely, if you like to read, then you read, and your skills improve.

Solution? Make sure kids are reading something interesting to them.

My two cents.
Renee