I've been following the conversation and Liz, our district has developed
formatives and summatives for ELA and math.  We have 2 formstive ELA tests and
then a trimester.  We have the students use bubble sheets and then scan the
information into Measures/Datawise.  It complies the info for individual
classes and a grade level and breaks it down by standards.  It's very handy
when looking for strengths and weaknesses.  Because my school is program
improvement we went to workshops where we developed learning cycles using the
standards that are "red" occur mostly on the state test.  We do a pretest,
teach, post test, reteach (rti) and go on.  It's very handy.  Each grade level
has 90 minutes a week to look at data and determine the direction for the grade
level.  We share strategies and encouragement.  My principal is awesome.  She
gives us leeway to group the children in flexible ways.  The teacher with the
highest scores shares strategies and
 usually takes the reteach group.  Students who master the skill on the pretest
(show mastery) go to an enrich group.  We had good results last year and are
refining it for next year.
Hope this helps,
Brenda
CA/4