I was on a committee that revamped our school website. We stuck to these
principles:

1. Figure out who your audience is - Students (current or prospective)? Parents
(current or prospective)? Teachers? Keep them in mind when designing or
redesigning the site.
2.  Make it clean with only as few buttons as possible.
3.  Large, clear striking photographs. We hired a professional photographer for
our main pages but then added photos from amateur, but beautifully
photographed, pics.

Sent from my iPad