Hi Chavie,

I truly believe that the best thing for improving comprehension is not a program, but is simply reading high-interest material, then talking about it, responding either orally or in writing to prompts that focus on reading strategies. For example, with my fifth grade class of below-grade-level readers, I had a series of question prompts/suggestions on the wall, like "What did you think?" "What did you see?" "What did it remind you of?" PLUS some generic, more detailed "task cards" with response prompts on them.

What would happen if you gave your students more time to read what they want to read, and then ask them questions about their reading?

Plus..... I also have seen comprehension improvement by having students occasionally draw "something that happened" in the book, which gives them a chance to hone in on details in a visual way before they write or talk about their reading.

Renee