I have done a unit mid-year in first grade with the struggling readers
focused on the Piggie and Elephant books the last two years.  We do lots of
work with decoding, answering comprehension questions (selected response
practice), character traits, using background knowledge to predict what
will happen, and reading with expression.

The school librarian reports that she can't keep them on the shelves in the
library for a while after I do the unit as the kids want to read them
all.   Anything to build excited readers is great!