an oldie but goodie strategy is to have kids read their piece's from the end
backwards.  So read what they think is the last sentence.  use a slash or
whatever but does it make sense the way you read it?  then the next to the last
sentence.  Of course they won't know exactly where the sentence starts anymore
than where it ends but it is experimenting till they get it as they want it.
This breaks up that ongoing flow of meaning and kind of focuses their
understanding on JUST the sentence.

 I think we lose sight of the fact that it is just not that easy to do!
To wit, I work on it all the way thru graduate students.   Clauses of all kinds
have subjects and verbs so that determination alone doesn't do the trick.  So I
try to help the kids see they are the "owners" of their writing and need to
work with it till it communicates clearly what they want.  AND unless they
actually have some ownership, none of this works very well.  So it cannot all
be "assignments."

I read a great great chapter in a book/article that I wish I could find now.
But it was a plea that knowing where to put periods, e.g. a complete thought or
idea, is a HUGE

Sally