I would say instead of looking for decodables use high-quality predictable text. Try R.C. Owen books.

But even before that, I would make a journal out of plain, unlined white paper (about 15 sheets) tucked and stapled into a construction paper cover. Title it, "______'s Journal" then have him draw and write every day. Every day. Draw a line across the middle of the page, horizontally. On the top, draw first. Have him draw a picture of himself doing something he likes to do, then tell you about his picture. Then he writes what he said HE writes. Then, if necessary, YOU transcribe at the bottom of the page with conventional spelling and punctuation, but don't change the wording. Write legibly. Carefully. Make it look like bookwriting. Don't hurry. Make sure every letter is clear. Use a fine-tipped Sharpie. Black, so the color doesn't distract. Then have him read it back to you. More than once. Next day.... have him read what he wrote the day before, then do the same thing on the next page. Repeat, daily.

Have him make his own books, with or without templates.

Renee