I'm a little behind in our scheduled discussion but let's see if we can catch
up this week.

Johnston writes: " These "how did you..." and "what are you thinking..."
conversations invite agentive narratives, increase the available strategic
information, reduce the likelihood of fixed performance theories and at the
same time invite dynamic learning theories."

Bev has shared with us some rather intriguing thoughts about how we  can
non-verbally, as well as verbally, encourage a dynamic mindset. Let's see if we
can make this real. Anyone want to share a classroom interaction they have had
or seen that we might look at that encourages either a dynamic or fixed
performance mind frame?

I spent some time looking at some old video of some of the lessons I have
taught over the years. (Old National Board portfolio video...!) Here is one
interaction I'd like to get everyone's take on...
I was working with first graders and we were jointly trying to solve a problem
students had lining up in the cafeteria. My students all had a classroom job.
One was to be line leader. Another was to be second in line...and the second in
line held open doors for the class as we traveled. Once lunch was over,
students were to line up behind a taped mark on the cafeteria floor. But the
line leader and second did not always finish lunch first and therefore had to
push their  way into their spots...causing all kinds of issues. So, I held a
class meeting. Here is a part of the interaction:

Me: So, let's see if we can figure out the problem. Here is the spot where we
line up. Let's pretend that Jessica is finished lunch first and she lines up on
the tape line where she is supposed to.  John, Audra, Jennie and Geoff line up
behind... Now, let's pretend that the line leader and second in line are trying
to get to their spot. Watch what happens and tell me what you notice...
(much laughing and giggling as the two children try to get in their spots and
one child steps on another's foot)
Me: So what do you notice?
Student 1: There's pushing!
Student 2: Everyone is doing what they are supposed to but it doesn't work.
Student 3. Someone might get hurt!
Me: So, let's get some ideas. What could we do?
Student 4:  We could have the first person to line up start the line back
farther?
Me: So how would that work?
Student 4: The first person to get in line could take two steps back.
Student 5: And the line leader and second in line could say "please move back."
Me: Let's try this out.
(kids line up...and practice. It works...)
Me: So what did you notice this time?
Student 6: That worked!
Me: Why do you think it worked?
Student 6: There was not any pushing.
Me: So, what did we do to figure this out?
Student 7: We tried it.
Me:What else?
Student 2: We acted it out
Me: What else?
Student 3: We made a plan?
Me: Excellent job.  You listened to each other. You got ideas from each other.
You cooperated and tried out your plan. I'm proud of you all. Great job. Now
let's practice this, all of us, right now before we go to lunch.

Can you see places where I worked to build a dynamic learning frame? Do you see
places where I could have done better? Thoughts? I'm not sensitive...so go
right ahead and critique.
Jennifer