In my district, close reading in K-1 looks like an interactive read aloud, it
will usually last 3/4 days. Our first reading we will stop to discuss any
vocabulary (tier 2) that is critical to the meaning of the story and words that
may confuse the students. However, the following readings have purposeful text
dependent questions and as a class we may complete a graphic organizer/notes
that will help students on the performance task which is at the end. Each day
of the lesson we refer to the performance task and through our questioning each
day students uncover evidence that will help them with the performance task.
Each day prior to the performance task students also have some kind of response
to reading as well.

Close reading was not created for such young readers and since what they read
is not complex our district decided to use this format. It is up to the teacher
to make sure the text he or she selects is complex using a text complexity
worksheet prior to planning a lesson.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone