ok.  i just did a clean install of RandLM on a 64 bit machine, running
Suse.  here is my test:

./buildlm -struct BloomMap -falsepos 8 -values 8 -output-prefix model
< ../src/README

this produces the expected results, so it must be that somehow there
is a difference in either your Unix version or else in tools such as
cat etc.

so, which version of cat do you have?  this is what i have here:

cat --version
cat (GNU coreutils) 6.11

Written by Torbjorn Granlund and Richard M. Stallman.

Miles