Dear Attila,

you are right that the algorithm described  into the Moses website
differs from what is implemented in symal.

But in the moses website (http://www.statmt.org/moses/?n=Moses.Background)
there is also this description
"Our heuristic proceeds as follows: We start with intersection of the two word
alignments. We only add new alignment points that exist in the union of two
word alignments. We also always require that a new alignment point connects at
least one previously unaligned word."
which does match the  symal implementation.

As both procedures are heuristic, both are good in principle.
Nevertheless I personally prefer symal one,
because it adds points earlier which will be added later in the final step.

Philip (and other developers), what do you think of?
Which is the most reliable heuristic procedure?

best regards,
Nicola