There is work published on making mert more stable (on the train so can't
easily dig it up)

Miles

sent using Android

On 25 Mar 2011 12:49, "Lane Schwartz" <dowob...@gmail.com> wrote:

We know that there is nondeterminism during optimization, yet virtually all
papers report results based on a single MERT run. We know that results can
very widely based on language pair and data sets, but a large majority of
papers report results on a single language pair, and often for a single data
set.

While these issues are widely known at the informal level, I think that
Suzy's point is well taken. I think there would be value in published
studies showing just how wide the gap due to nondeterminism can be expected
to be. It may be that such studies already exist, and I'm just not aware of
them. Does anyone know of any?

Cheers,
Lane

--
When a place gets crowded enough to require ID's, social collapse is not
far away.  It is time to go elsewhere.  The best thing about space travel