Here is what I think about this whole issue.

Wouldn’t it be much more beneficial to the whole community to fix the basic
beam search issue in Moses that seems to be the root of the problem, rather
than write papers investigating it? As far as I understand, the issue most
likely arises from the fact that the beam width limit might cut off some
hypotheses from a group with equal probability, while leaving some for further
processing. The fix would include checking the beam border and including all
hypotheses with the least permissible probability, regardless of the actual
beam width. This might require some redesign of the data structures that hold
the hypotheses (I’m writing this without actually inspecting the source code),
but this cannot be an untenable task. Let’s say this takes 8–16 man-hours to
code and another 8–16 to test. Any volunteers in academia?

Cheers,

Ventzi

–––––––
Dr. Ventsislav Zhechev