发件人: Barry Haddow [mailto:bhad...@staffmail.ed.ac.uk]
发送时间: 2011年11月1日 16:51
收件人: moses-support@mit.edu
抄送: Li Xianhua
主题: Re: [Moses-support] mert-moses.pl script

Hi Xianhua

Way 1 uses no random restarts at all, so each iteration starts where the last
one left off, which is why the results are always the same. The other methods
both use random restarts (which make them different from Way 1) and they each
use fixed seeds (so they are deterministic) but the seeds are different (so
they are different from each other).

My guess is that Ways 2 & 3 will give better results as they explore a larger
part of the parameter space. However the best method is to follow Clark et al.
and run mert several times and average. This advice also applies to most other
methods of tuning MT systems, in particular online algorithms where the order
of the data may matter.

cheers - Barry

On Tuesday 01 November 2011 01:42:26 Li Xianhua wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>       About the moses mert problem Neda mentioned, I tried three ways to
> make MERT deterministic, but their results between them are different.
>       Way 1: edit mert-moses.pl  line 105: "my $_RANDOM-RESTARTS=20",
> change 20 to 0
>       Way 2: switch to the mert-moses.pl call: --mertargs=" -r $seed " as
> Patrik said
>       Way 3: activate flag "--predictable-seed", as Nicola and Barry said
>
>       I ran totally 9 experiments, 3 for each way with the same corpus and
> parameters, and compared the results. the results in the same way are
> the same, but the results with the same corpus but different ways are
> different. So my questions are:
>       Are the three ways right to make MERT deterministic? Which is best?
> Why are they different?

> Best wishes!
> Xianhua Li
> Information Technology Laboratory
> Fujitsu Research & Development Center Co.,LTD.
> 13F Tower A, Ocean International Center,
> No.56 Dong Si Huan Zhong Rd, Chaoyang District, Beijing, China ,100025
> E-mail:lixian...@cn.fujitsu.com

Barry Haddow
University of Edinburgh
+44 (0) 131 651 3173

--
The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with
registration number SC005336.