re: not tuning on training data, in principle this shouldn't matter
(especially if the tuning set is large and/or representative of the
task).

in reality, Moses will assign far too much weight to these examples,
at the detriment of the others.  (it will drastically overfit).  this
is why the tuning and training sets are typically disjoint.  this is a
standard tactic in NLP and not just Moses.

re:  assigning more weight to certain translations, you have two
options here.  the first would be to assign more weight to these pairs
when you run Giza++.  (you can assign per-sentence pair weights at
this stage).  this is really just a hint and won't guarantee anything.
 the second option would be to force translations (using the XML
markup).

Miles

On 18 November 2011 08:42, Jehan Pages <je...@mygengo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Tom Hoar
> <tah...@precisiontranslationtools.com> wrote:
>> Jehan, here are my strategies, others may vary.
>
> Thanks.
>
>> 1/ the 100-word (token) limit is a dependency of GIZA++ and MGIZA++, not
>> just a convenience for speed. If you make the effort to use the
>> BerkeleyAligner, this limit disappears.
>
> Ok I didn't know this alternative to GIZA++. I see there are some
> explanation on the website for switching to this aligner. I may give
> it a try someday then. :-)
>
>> 2/ From a statistics and survey methodology point of view, your training
>> data is a subset of individual samples selected from a whole population
>> (linguistic domain) so-as to estimate the characteristics of the whole
>> population. So, duplicates can exist and they play an important role in
>> determining statistical significance and calculating probabilities. Some
>> data sources, however, repeat information with little relevance to the
>> linguistic balance of the whole domain. One example is a web sites with
>> repetitive menus on every page. Therefore, for our use, we keep duplicates
>> where we believe they represent a balanced sampling and results we want to
>> achieve. We remove them when they do not. Not everyone, however, agrees with
>> this approach.
>
> I see. And that confirms my thoughts. I don't know for sure what will
> be my strategy, but I think that will be keeping them all then, most
> probably. Making conditional removal like you do is interesting, but
> that would prove hard to do on our platform as we don't have context
> on translations stored.
>
>> 3/ Yes, none of the data pairs in the tuning set should be present in your
>> training data. To do so skews the tuning weights to give excellent BLEU
>> scores on the tuning results, but horrible scores on "real world"
>> translations.
>
> I am not sure I understand what you say. How do you do so? Also why
> would we want to give horrible score to real world translations? Isn't
> the point exactly that the tuning data should actually "represent"
> this real world translations that we want to get close to?
>

> 4/ Also I was wondering something else that I just remember. So that
> will be a fourth question!
> Suppose in our system, we have some translations we know for sure are
> very good (all are good but some are supposed to be more like
> "certified quality"). Is there no way in Moses to give some more
> weight to some translations in order to influence the system towards
> quality data (still keeping all data though)?
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Jehan
>
>> Tom
>>

>> On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 14:31:44 +0900, Jehan Pages <je...@mygengo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have a few questions about quality of training and tuning. If anyone
>>> has any clarifications, that would be nice! :-)

> [...]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.