Excellent! Thank you for releasing this, Holger!

I know you had mentioned that you'd like to get this integrated into
the decoder. Has anyone from your group been able to work on that?

Cheers,
Lane

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Holger Schwenk
<holger.schw...@lium.univ-lemans.fr> wrote:
> I'm happy to announce the availability of a new version of the continuous
> space
> language model (CSLM) toolkit.
>
> Continuous space methods we first introduced by Yoshua Bengio in 2001 [1].
> The basic idea of this approach is to project the word indices onto a
> continuous space and to use a probability estimator operating on this space.
> Since the resulting probability functions are smooth functions of the word
> representation, better generalization to unknown events can be expected.  A
> neural network can be used to simultaneously learn the projection of the
> words
> onto the continuous space and to estimate the n-gram probabilities.  This is
> still a n-gram approach, but the LM probabilities are interpolated for any
> possible context of length n-1 instead of backing-off to shorter contexts.
>
> CSLM were initially used in large vocabulary speech recognition systems and
> more
> recently in statistical machine translation. Improvements in the perplexity
> between 10 and 20% relative were reported for many languages and tasks.
>

> This version of the CSLM toolkit is a major update of the first release. The
> new features include:
>  - full support for short-lists during training and inference. By these
> means,
>    the CSLM can be applied to tasks with large vocabularies.
>  - very efficient n-best list rescoring.
>  - support of graphical extension cards (GPU) from Nvidia. This speeds up
>    training by a factor of four with respect to a high-end server with two
> CPUs.
>
> We successfully trained CSLMs on large tasks like NIST OpenMT'12. Training
> on one
> billion words takes less than 24 hours. In our experiments, the CSLM
> achieves
> improvements in the BLEU score of up to two points with respect to a large
> unpruned back-off LM.
>
> A detailed description of the approach can be found in the following
> publications:
>
> [1] Yoshua Bengio and Rejean Ducharme.  A neural probabilistic language
> model.
>     In NIPS, vol 13, pages 932--938, 2001.
> [2] Holger Schwenk, Continuous Space Language Models; in Computer Speech and
>     Language, volume 21, pages 492-518, 2007.
> [3] Holger Schwenk, Continuous Space Language Models For Statistical Machine
>     Translation; The Prague Bulletin of Mathematical Linguistics, number 83,
>     pages 137-146, 2010.
> [4] Holger Schwenk, Anthony Rousseau and Mohammed Attik; Large, Pruned or
>     Continuous Space Language Models on a GPU for Statistical Machine
> Translation,
>     in NAACL workshop on the Future of Language Modeling, June 2012.
>

> The software is available at http://www-lium.univ-lemans.fr/cslm/. It is
> distributed under GPL v3.

> [...]

When a place gets crowded enough to require ID's, social collapse is not
far away.  It is time to go elsewhere.  The best thing about space travel
is that it made it possible to go elsewhere.
                -- R.A. Heinlein, "Time Enough For Love"