if you have non-zero feature values at training time, but they become
zero at test time then you may have a problem.

the reason for this is that all weights are optimised together.  you
can think of this as the system trying to work-out how best to
translate, using everything. if some are zero, then you are forcing
the rest to do the work that they were not optimised for.

Miles

On 25 July 2012 17:51, Cristina <cristi...@lsi.upc.edu> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick answer!
>
> I think that the problem here cannot be in the development step, it
> must be more related to decoding.
>
> Regardless the way weights are estimated, translation changes when I add
> new features with zero weight (not in development but in test). They
> shouldn't contribute to score the final translation, right?
>
> Cristina
>

> On Wed, 25 Jul 2012, Miles Osborne wrote:
>
>> this is a fairly typical result for MERT.  i notice you are using
>> MIRA, which is claimed to be more reliable.  see
>>
>> http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/N/N09/N09-1025.pdf
>>
>> note that getting MIRA to work takes a lot of tweaking, so read the
>> fine print carefully
>>
>> Miles
>>
>> On 25 July 2012 17:24, Cristina <cristi...@lsi.upc.edu> wrote:
>> >
>> > Dear all,
>> >
>> > We are doing some experiments by adding new features at phrase level in
>> > the translation table. We have done a first experiment to see the effects
>> > and they are quite weird:
>> >
>> >  * We build a translation table with 9 features and a similar translation
>> > table with 18 features (the same 9 features + 9 new features)
>> >
>> >  * We run MERT (or MIRA) on a dev set using the first translation table (9
>> > features)
>> >
>> >  * We translate a test set with 2 configurations:
>> >   - MERT on 9 features using the translation table with 9 features
>> >   - MERT on 9 features using the translation table with 18 features (9 +
>> > 9) where the weight for the 9 extra features is set to 0
>> >
>> > We loose more than 3 points of BLEU with the second configuration with
>> > respect to the first one. (Using MERT on the 18 features gives similar
>> > results to the second configuration)
>> >
>> > Does anyone know if there is some penalty when adding more features? Or
>> > has anyone encountered the same problem?
>> > Thanks in advance!
>> >
>> > Best,
>> >
>> >  Cristina
>>

>> --

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.