Hi,

RWTH Aachen University implemented extraction of discontinuous phrases
and decoding with source-side gaps in the Jane toolkit
[www.hltpr.rwth-aachen.de/jane/].
We did not see any clear improvements over standard phrase-based setups
in our experiments, though.

Some results were published in PBML:

M. Huck, E. Scharwächter, and H. Ney. Source-Side Discontinuous Phrases
for Machine Translation: A Comparative Study on Phrase Extraction and
Search. The Prague Bulletin of Mathematical Linguistics, number 99,
pages 17-38, Prague, Czech Republic, April 2013.
http://www.hltpr.rwth-aachen.de/publications/download/848/Huck-PBML-2013.pdf

The Jane Hiero implementation yields better translation quality on
Chinese-English. But note that RWTH did not modify Jane's phrase-based
decoder to support target-side gaps.

I would be very much interested in seeing whether other groups than
Stanford achieve encouraging results with discontinuous phrases in their
toolkits.

Erik Scharwächter wrote most of the code related to discontinuous
phrases in the Jane toolkit as part of his Bachelor's thesis. I don't
know how you define a "massive undertaking", but an excellent
undergraduate student can obviously implement it, run some experiments
and write a thesis about it within a limited amount of time.

Cheers,
Matthias

On Sun, 2013-11-03 at 20:34 -0800, Kenneth Heafield wrote:
> Hi,
>
>       I'll throw in the anecdote that gappy phrases are currently not in use
> at Stanford.  My predecessor told me that it took a lot longer and only
> improved BLEU slightly on Chinese-English.  But it's also possible that
> something didn't get passed down correctly from Michel to my predecessor
> to me. . .
>
> Kenneth
>
> On 11/03/13 14:18, Read, James C wrote:
> > My understanding is that they used a similar approach as the grammar
> > extraction to extract the gappy phrases. Would it be a massive undertaking
> > to get Moses to support this?
> >
> > James

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.