Hi,

one recently proposed successful strategy is to first translate the
source sentences in the parallel corpus with the rule-based system (in
this case Apertium) and then build a statistical system from the
rule-based output to the correct translation in the parallel corpus.

This is referred to as statistical post-editing.

Simard, Michel and Ueffing, Nicola and Isabelle, Pierre and Kuhn,
Roland(2007): Rule-Based Translation with Statistical Phrase-Based
Post-Editing, Proceedings of the Second Workshop on Statistical
Machine Translation.
http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/W/W07/W07-2028.pdf

-phi