From: Raj Dabre [mailto:prajda...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 12:06 PM
To: i.rama...@saudisoft.com
Cc: moses-support@mit.edu
Subject: Re: [Moses-support] Incremental training

Dear Ihab,

Perhaps I should have mentioned much more clearly what my script does. Sorry
for that.

Let me start with this: There is no direct/easy way to generate the moses.ini
file as you need.

1. Suppose you have 2 million lines of parallel corpora and you trained a SMT
system for it. This naturally gives the phrase table, reordering table and
moses.ini.

2. Suppose you got 500 k more lines of parallel corpora.... there are 2 ways:

    a. Retrain 2.5 million lines from scratch (will take lots of time: ~ 2-3
days on a regular machines)

    b. Train on only the 500k new lines using the alignment information of the
original training data. (Faster: ~ 6-7 hours).

What my scripts do: THEY ONLY GENERATE ALIGNMENTS and NOT PHRASE TABLES.

1. full_train.sh -------------- This trains on the original corpus of 2 million
lines. (Generate alignment files only for the original corpus)

2. align_new.sh -------------- This trains on the new corpus of 500 k lines.
(Generate alignment files only for the new corpus using the alignments for 1)

Why this split ???? Because the basic training step of Moses does not preserve
the alignment probability information. Only the alignments are saved. To
continue training we need the probability information.

You can pass flags to moses to preserve this information ( this flag is
--giza-option . If you do this then you will not need full_train.sh. But you
will have to change the config files before using align_new.sh)

HOW TO GET UPDATED PHRASE TABLE:

1. Append the forward alignments (fwd) generated by align_new.sh to the forward
(fwd) alignments generated by full_train.sh.
2. Append the inverse alignments (inv) generated by align_new.sh to the inverse
(inv) alignments generated by full_train.sh.

3. Run the moses training script with additional flags:

*       --first-step -- first step in the training process (default
1)--------------- This will be 4
*       --last-step -- last step in the training process (default
7)------------ This will remain 7
*       --giza-f2e -- <path to folder>/new_giza.fwd
*       --giza-e2f -- <path to folder>/new_giza.inv

For example:

~/mosesdecoder/scripts/training/train-model.perl -root-dir <your training
directory> \
 -corpus <your new corpus name>                             \
 -f <src> -e <tgt> -alignment grow-diag-final-and -reordering
msd-bidirectional-fe \
 -lm 0:3:<path to LM>:8                          \
 --first-step 4  --last-step 7 --giza-f2e -- <path to folder>/new_giza.fwd
--giza-e2f -- <path to folder>/new_giza.inv \
 -external-bin-dir <path to giza++ binaries>

For more details on the training step read this:
http://www.statmt.org/moses/?n=FactoredTraining.TrainingParameters

What this does is assumes that you have alignments and continue the phrase
extraction, reordering and generate the new moses.ini file.

WARNING: Specify the filenames and paths properly OR IT WILL FAIL.

If you are still unclear then please ask and I will try to help you as much as
I can.

Regards.