On Fri, 2015-01-23 at 18:18 +0000, Hieu Hoang wrote:
> True, but that complicates the framework, and doesn't deal with sparse
> features.

Why does it complicate the framework? Isn't the trick about "tuneable"
mostly that you don't write those scores to the n-best list?
We can even keep a boolean "tuneable" parameter and have another
parameter "tuneable-components" (boolean vector sized like the weights
vector).

> By adding another ff which grabs scores from the pt, u can arbitrarily
> transform the scores

Yeah I know. I can get around these things by writing more feature
functions. For removing scores from phrase tables, I can also just
process the phrase table file with awk, delete the score columns I don't
need and write it to another file. But something user-friendly would be
more appealing. Setting up contrastive experiments could be done much
more rapidly with what I'm asking for. And maybe somebody on the mailing
list has implemented this and never put it into master?

I want it for MIRA, btw.

I think it should be added if it doesn't exist somewhere yet. Unless
someone has strong objections.

> On 23 January 2015 18:09:11 GMT+00:00, Matthias Huck
> <mh...@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>         That's not flexible enough. There should be something like:
>
>         [feature]
>         MyFeature name=MyFeature0 tuneable=0,1,0
>
>         [weight]
>         MyFeature0= 0.0 0.1 1
>

>         MyFeature has 3 score components. I want to tune the second component,
>         deactivate the first component, and set the scaling factor of the
> third
>         component manually to 1.
>
>         Currently the "tuneable" parameter is boolean and allows me to
> manually
>         set scaling factors for either no score component or all of them.
>

>         On Fri, 2015-01-23 at 17:38 +0000, Hieu Hoang wrote:
>                 The whole feature becomes untuneable.
>
>                  I suppose u can make the pt untuneable, the write another
> (tuneable)
>                  ff which grabs whatever scores it wants from the pt
>
>                  On 23 January 2015 16:55:56 GMT+00:00, Matthias!
>                   Huck
>                  <mh...@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>                          Hi,
>
>                          Is there any existing functionality to set only
> specific score
>                          components of a feature function as untuneable?
>
>                          Feature functions have a boolean "tuneable"
> parameter, but it affects
>                          all the scores produced by it. It doesn't help in
> case I want to switch
>                          off individual scores from a phrase table, for
> instance. Or manually
>                          assign large scaling factors to certain score
> components prior to
>                          tuning. As far as I know, right now I'm only able to
> do so if the score
>                          I'm interested in is the only score produced by a
> feature function.
>
>                          If anyone has already implemented something like
> that, please let me
>                          know.
>
>                          Cheers,
>                          Matthias
>

>                  --
>                  Sent while bumping !
>                  into
>                 things
>

> --
> Sent while bumping into things

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.