Size reduction and binarizing time are normal. At WIPO we use only quantized models, with no quality loss so far. Your speed issues were caused by insufficient RAM then. Interesting, since I was able to use 98GB models on my 128GB server with several moses instances running in parallel, but maybe you had other stuff running.