Actually, I'm halfway to the solution. I did the steps below:

#1: Make sure you get your variable names correct. EMS has a boatload of
variables so it's hard to remember what's "output" and what's "reference"

#2: Don't have a million config files in a directory. You might be
executing the wrong config file. :) [still trying to figure out how not to
have one-off configs everywhere]

#3: Edit steps/x/config.x instead of editing the original config.

#4: Thank the EMS developers for their hard work.

However, there's one piece missing. Philipp said:
"In you case you also need to remove the steps/1/REPORTING_report.1*
step, so it is re-run."

I tried deleting the files above, as well as deleting evaluation/report.1,
but the reporting module isn't executing. No new steps/1/REPORTING_report.1*
files are being generated, although the dependency list shows
0 REPORTING:report -> run

zınɹ ʞɔıu