> From the GitHub pages it appears that eflomal supercedes efmaral

this is true, I guess

> — is there any purpose therefore in using efmaral?

it is a bit faster (but consumes more memory).
eflomal does not support the fast_align input format at the moment but that can
easily be fixed if necessary.

> Also, the linked PBML paper has no mention of eflomal — how does it perform
> in downstream BLEU tasks? Is it comparable to what you reported in Table 4?

eflomal did not exist at the tie of writing that paper. We haven’t done the
BLEU evaluations but I expect no big difference. Actually, efmoral can be run
with parameter settings that makes it equivalent to efmaral.

So, eflomal should be the way to go. It wouldn’t be too hard to support both I
guess but I don’t dare to touch the experiment,perl monster

Jörg