It might be an idea to ask Papineni himself. If you get through to him,
maybe ask what license mt-eval script is under.

To my knowledge, the script was developed by/for NIST; any code by/for a US
government agency is public domain. You may not need to go through the pain
of reimplementing it

Hieu Hoang
http://moses-smt.org/