*** We are particularly interested in candidates with a strong NLP track
record, mainly on NLP for social media analysis. ***

Lecturer in Computer Science (Two Posts)
University of Sheffield - Department of Computer Science
Job Ref: UOS024792
Closes: 17th January 2020
Salary: £41,526 - £49,533 per annum with potential to progress to £55,750
through sustained exceptional contribution.
Contract type: Permanent
Apply at
https://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/BXF245/lecturer-in-computer-science-two-posts
This is an outstanding opportunity to join the Department of Computer
Science at the University of Sheffield, a world top 100 University. Two
Lectureship positions are available (which are equivalent in status to
Assistant Professor). The Department of Computer Science is currently
implementing an ambitious plan for growth, which will see us double in size
and extend the depth and breadth of our research portfolio. We are among
the best Departments in the UK for computer science research; in the
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014, we were ranked 5th overall in the
UK and 92% of our research work was rated either world-leading or
internationally excellent.

We are seeking to appoint two Lecturers with expertise in one or more of
the following areas, which align with the Department’s research groups and
its affiliated centres/institutes:

- Algorithms
- Complex systems modelling
- Machine learning
- Natural language processing
- Speech and hearing technology
- Ubiquitous/pervasive computing
- Visual computing (including computer graphics and computer vision)
- Verification
- Testing
- Cybersecurity
- Robotics

You will hold a PhD in a relevant area of computer science, or have
equivalent experience. As a Lecturer, you will conduct research to the
highest standards. This will include securing research funding, publishing
in high impact conferences and journals, supervision of research students
and research project management.

In addition, you will play a key role in maintaining our reputation for
high-quality teaching by designing, delivering and assessing undergraduate
and postgraduate level courses in computer science. The Department has an
enviable reputation for innovative teaching. In the National Student Survey
(NSS) 2019 we were top for overall satisfaction among Russell Group
computer science departments.

We are committed to exploring flexible working opportunities which benefit
the individual and University.

We’re one of the best not-for-profit organisations to work for in the UK.
The University’s Total Reward Package includes a competitive salary, a
generous Pension Scheme and annual leave entitlement, as well as access to
a range of learning and development courses to support your personal and
professional development.

We build teams of people from different heritages and lifestyles whose
talent and contributions complement each other to greatest effect. We
believe diversity in all its forms delivers greater impact through
research, teaching and student experience.

The Department of Computer Science holds a Silver Athena SWAN award, in
recognition of our commitment to equality and diversity.

Follow @sheffielduni and @ShefUniJobs on Twitter for more information about
what makes the University of Sheffield a remarkable place to work.

--
*Carolina Scarton*
Academic Fellow