--MS_Mac_OE_3162132616_1900019_MIME_Part

Hi Shari,

You will find hawks are all over Minnesota not just the woods.  One of the
most common is the Cooper's hawk which has adapted to urban settings very
well by feeding on starlings, house sparrows, and pigeons among several
other species.

The Sibley guide is good, but I know many beginners who find it
overwhelming.  Truth be told you should have more than one field guide.
Some people prefer photographs over drawings, so you might want to stop in
at your local book store and see what's available.  One of the most popular
with beginners is Birds of Minnesota by Stan Tekiela.  It doesn't have every
bird you will see but many like to use it to learn the basics.  From there
they will graduate to a Sibley guide, a Kaufman guide, or a Peterson guide.

One of my personal favorites for identifying raptors is Clark and Wheeler's
Photographic Guide to North American Raptors.

--
Sharon Stiteler
Uptown, Minneapolis