-------------------------------1101822726

11/29/04

Got my first chance to head up and check out the Hummingbird that has been
visiting feeders at Laura Erickson's house in Duluth.  Rick Specht and I
arrived
at about 7:00am and were able to get nice but short looks at the bird while
it visited an upper story window feeder on the East side of the house between
7:00am and 8:30am.  We observed the bird feeding 5 times and also were able to
observe the bird roosting in the Spruce tree, which is growing over the
driveway in front of the garage.

We then headed over to Carlton County via St. Louis County roads 44, 16 and
then Hyw 53 to 33.  We were able to relocate 4 Great Grey Owls despite it being
a late and sunny morning drive.  All four birds were observed roosting in the
shadows on the South side of CR 16 between Hyw 53 and CR 44.  The birds were
observed between 10:30am and 11:30am.

We did a search of many of the boggy areas in Carlton in search of Owls
without success.  But did turn up some nice species for the county along
Ditchbank
Road.  We observed a Northern Goshawk, Gray Jay, Pine Grosbeak, White-winged
Crossbill and Pine Siskin's.  Also note that if you are birding in the area.  I
would recommend that you only try Spirit Lake Road if you have a very high
clearance 4 wheel drive vehicle.  Its an interesting road, but there are some
very deeply rutted areas about 2 miles South of Ditchbank Road.

St. Louis County
@ Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird - 7:00am - 8:30am
@ Great Gray Owl - CR 16 - mileage notes are from CR 16 & CR 110 interaction
1. 10:30am - 10:35am - 3.4 miles East
2. 10:45am - 11:00am - 2. miles East
3. 11:05am - 3.3 miles West
4. 11:11am - 5. 5 miles West
@ Northern Hawk Owl - One bird observed 4.4 miles West of the intersection of
CR 16 and CR 110 on the north side of the road at 11:08am

Carlton County
@ White-winged Crossbill - observed along Ditchbank Road, 1/10th of a mile
West of Berthaume Rd. 2:20pm.

Craig Mandel - egretc...@aol.com - Minnetonka, MN

-------------------------------1101822726

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2523" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>11/29/04</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Got my first chance to head up and check out the Hummingbird that has b=
een visiting feeders at&nbsp;Laura Erickson's house in Duluth.&nbsp;&nbsp;Ri=
ck Specht and I arrived at about 7:00am and were able to get nice but short=20=
looks at the bird while it visited an upper story window feeder on the East=20=
side of the house between 7:00am and 8:30am.&nbsp; We observed the bird feed=
ing 5 times and also were able to observe the bird roosting in the Spruce tr=
ee, which is growing over the driveway in front of the garage.&nbsp;&nbsp;</=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>We then headed over to Carlton County via St. Louis County roads 44, 16=
 and then Hyw 53 to 33.&nbsp; We were able to relocate&nbsp;4 Great Grey Owl=
s despite it being a late and sunny morning drive.&nbsp; All four birds were=
 observed roosting in the shadows on the South side of CR 16 between Hyw 53=20=
and CR 44.&nbsp; The birds were observed between 10:30am&nbsp;and 11:30am.&n=
bsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>We did a search of many of the boggy areas in Carlton in search of Owls=
 without success.&nbsp;&nbsp;But did turn up some nice species for the count=
y along Ditchbank Road.&nbsp; We observed a Northern Goshawk, Gray Jay, Pine=
 Grosbeak, White-winged Crossbill and Pine Siskin's.&nbsp;&nbsp;Also note th=
at if you are birding in the area.&nbsp;&nbsp;I would recommend that you onl=
y try&nbsp;Spirit Lake Road if you have a very high clearance 4 wheel drive=20=
vehicle.&nbsp;&nbsp;Its an interesting road, but there are some very deeply=20=
rutted areas about 2 miles South of Ditchbank Road.&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>St. Louis County</DIV>
<DIV>@ Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird - 7:00am - 8:30am</DIV>
<DIV>@ Great Gray Owl - CR 16 - mileage notes are from CR 16 &amp; CR 110 in=
teraction</DIV>
<DIV>1. 10:30am - 10:35am - 3.4 miles East</DIV>
<DIV>2. 10:45am - 11:00am - 2. miles East</DIV>
<DIV>3.&nbsp;11:05am - 3.3 miles West</DIV>
<DIV>4. 11:11am - 5. 5 miles West</DIV>
<DIV>@ Northern Hawk Owl - One bird observed 4.4 miles West of the intersect=
ion of CR 16 and CR 110 on the north side of the road at 11:08am</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Carlton County</DIV>
<DIV>@ White-winged Crossbill - observed along Ditchbank Road, 1/10th of a m=
ile West of&nbsp;Berthaume Rd. 2:20pm.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=