This is the 31st year for the Midwest Annual Crane Count, used to
monitor the general population trends of sandhill cranes and to
promote awareness of wetland conservation.   The count takes place on
April 22 from 5:30 to 7:30 in the morning.  This is the only day and
time for this count.

Hennepin County has not been included since 2002 in this count and we
would like to revive our participation.  We have over 100 good
sandhill crane viewing spots in the county.  New birders are welcome
to join in this effort.

Counters will select one or more sites from the list of 100+ sites (or
can nominate a new site) for the two hours of April 22.   All sites
are one square mile and counters can either stand in one spot or move
around to survey it from multiple perspectives.   Counters record both
the total number of individual cranes seen or heard and also the
number of cranes in "unison call", a sign of a pair bond.  A short
orientation session will be held in April for counters who want
training.  Information on crane calls is also available at
http://www.savingcranes.org/species/sandhill.cfm

Please contact me off-list if you are interested.  You can also call
me at 612-377-3241.

Claudia Egelhoff
Minneapolis