From: Pastor Al Schirmacher <pasto...@princetonfreechurch.net>
To: mnb...@lists.mnbird.net; mou-...@cbs.umn.edu
Sent: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 07:50:04 -0600
Subject: [mou] Evening, Pine, possible Spruce Grouse

Nathan and I were able to venture into the wilds of Aitkin yesterday - had
Evening Grosbeaks (off Kestrel Avenue, north of Tamarack), Pine Grosbeaks (169,
couple miles north of CR 18) and a possible Spruce Grouse (snowmobile trail on
18).

Possible Spruce: very unique alarm call as we flushed it (woo-woo-woo or
tooting, female?), spread tail with no tail band, fled into the conifers -
unlike any Ruffed or Sharp-tailed we'd ever seen or heard. However, encounter
was very brief.

Boreal Chickadees remain Nathan's jinx bird - missed them both at Rabey Tree
Farm and on 18's snowmobile trail.

Thanks to Kim Risen, Jo Blanich and others who shared Aitkin birding sites &
ideas.

Good birding to all.

Al & Nathan Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties

----------MailBlocks_8C7B6D9F19A3715_1798_8CEE_MBLK-M33.sysops.aol.com

<HTML><BODY><DIV style='font-family: "Verdana"; font-size: 10pt;'><DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Hi all</DIV>
<DIV>I saw a very unusual bird in Caledonia over the weekend. I was plover or
grouse like with tan body&nbsp;but had a 1/4 inch white line&nbsp;around
its&nbsp;body on the side of it. I have looked&nbsp; in books and asked birders
to no avail. The lady&nbsp;at the hotel said the same&nbsp;thing happened last
year at this time and finally the person that noted the bird spent all night
looking in large bird books and found it and it was rather rare for this
area.</DIV>
<DIV>Any suggestions or info?</DIV>
<DIV>Carolyn &nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>&nbsp;<BR>-----Original Message-----<BR>From: Pastor Al
Schirmacher &lt;pasto...@princetonfreechurch.net&gt;<BR>To:
mnb...@lists.mnbird.net; mou-...@cbs.umn.edu<BR>Sent: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 07:50:04
-0600<BR>Subject: [mou] Evening, Pine, possible Spruce Grouse<BR><BR>
<STYLE>
.AOLPlainTextBody {
    margin: 0px;
    font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
    font-size: 12px;
    color: #000;
    background-color: #fff;
}

.AOLPlainTextBody pre {
    font-size: 9pt;
}

.AOLInlineAttachment {
    margin: 10px;
}

.AOLAttachmentHeader {
    border-bottom: 2px solid #E9EAEB;
    background: #F9F9F9;
}

.AOLAttachmentHeader .Title {
    font: 11px Tahoma;
    font-weight: bold;
    color: #666666;
    background: #E9EAEB;
    padding: 3px 0px 1px 10px;
}

.AOLAttachmentHeader .FieldLabel {
    font: 11px Tahoma;
    font-weight: bold;
    color: #666666;
    padding: 1px 10px 1px 9px;
}

.AOLAttachmentHeader .FieldValue {
    font: 11px Tahoma;
    color: #333333;
}

</STYLE>

<DIV class=AOLPlainTextBody
id=AOLMsgPart_0_09805c30-e494-4d28-998f-516dd8981b9c>Nathan and I were able to
venture into the wilds of Aitkin yesterday - had Evening Grosbeaks (off Kestrel
Avenue, north of Tamarack), Pine Grosbeaks (169, couple miles north of CR 18)
and a possible Spruce Grouse (snowmobile trail on
18).&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Possible Spruce: very unique alarm call as we flushed
it (woo-woo-woo or tooting, female?), spread tail with no tail band, fled into
the conifers - unlike any Ruffed or Sharp-tailed we'd ever seen or heard.
However, encounter was very brief.&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Boreal Chickadees remain
Nathan's jinx bird - missed them both at Rabey Tree Farm and on 18's snowmobile
trail.&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Thanks to Kim Risen, Jo Blanich and others who shared
Aitkin birding sites &amp; ideas.&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Good birding to
all.&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Al &amp; Nathan Schirmacher&nbsp;<BR>Princeton,
MN&nbsp;<BR>Mille Lacs &amp; Sherburne Counties &nbsp;<BR>______