Hello all

The conditions in NW Ontario--where most likely the Minnesota northern
finches come from as well as Manitoba-- normally differ from those in
the NE parts of Ontario. For example, on a trip in the fall of 2005, I
noted that mountain ash berries were abundant around the north edge of
Lake Superior, while the reports from those parts that supply southern
Ontario with winter finches indicated almost nonexistent supplies. I
even got to observe Herring and Ring-billed Gulls hovering to pluck
the berries! The Ontario forecast for the winter of 2005-06
definitely did not apply to SE Manitoba--we got very few winter finches.

This year is different in SE Manitoba. Judging by the numbers and
early arrival of Redpolls--mostly Common but also some Hoaries--the
birch seed crop north of us must be bad. We've also had early and
even urban Pine Grosbeaks. So Minnesota may get good winter finching
this winter.

Liis Veelma
Winnipeg, MB