I just received a phone call from Ken Hoffman who reports that he and
Molly saw a gull in Grand Marais, Cook Co, they identified as an adult
Slaty-backed Gull. It was seen about 6 pm today on the East Bay side of
town. They based their ID on the gull's dark pink legs (i.e., darker
than on Herring Gull), overall size similar to that of Herring Gull
(i.e., too small for Great Black-backed), and broad white trailing edge
to the blackish upper wing surface seen in flight.

I forgot to ask Ken if they considered the possibility of Western Gull
(which I'm guessing would be more likely than a Slaty-backed to stray
out-of-range in July?), and, if so, how that species was eliminated.
(There was no answer when I called back a few minutes ago to ask about
this.) Both Slaty-backed and Western gulls would be first state
records.

Ken and Molly will be looking for the gull again tomorrow morning, and
I will check back with them and I post any further updates at that
time.

Kim Eckert