------=_NextPart_000_002F_01C7622E.CF27FAF0

This is truly heart wrenching knowing one of my favorites places to bird =
in Minnesota is being mowed down for money and also for some lame excuse =
to control some pest!  I and a few other birders that have spent a lot =
of time in the Sax Zim bog have grown very fond of it which makes this =
logging very tough on me and others.  This area along Owl Avenue has =
nesting Connecticut Warblers, Yellow-bellied Flycatchers and Boreal =
Chickadees.  Driving along this stretch of Owl Avenue during the winter =
has produced Great Gray Owls and assortment of winter finches.  Other =
than birds that are found along this stretch of bog several species of =
bog plants and orchids were found in this bog as well.

This logging or the so-called "pest management control" practice is far =
from being done! McDavitt Road is currently being logged out, some of =
the bogs along Co. Rd 133 has been logged out. I am sure the foresters =
will eye up Admiral Road as a possible place to control this pest since =
the Admiral Road is just a mile or so east of McDavitt Road.

This group (Friends of Sax Zim Bog) was not a very effective group even =
though I was asked numerous times to come and sit in at their meetings. =
I did not show up because there were to many government people sitting =
in on these meetings and I felt they were there to put on a good face =
and that is all!  Nothing productive came from these meetings except a =
lot of wishful thinking and ideas!

I been emailing with and soon will be meeting with the mayor and other =
community leaders of the Toivola-Meadowlands area to discuss several =
projects before I leave for Colorado this April.  These projects include =
developing a winter birding festival, create a winter bird feeding =
station where birders from all over can visit the feeders in peace =
without being run off the road and also hanging some deer rib cages out =
in the remaining bog areas to attract Boreal Chickadees and other birds. =
 The birding festival so far is creating a lot of excitement to the =
community leaders as I been getting updates that the old Meadowlands =
school can be used as a place to hold the talks, vendors and gathering =
place for birders.  I also have been getting updates about a place where =
a bird feeding station would be located.  The community leaders are =
aware of the logging and know the logging is not good for the birds but =
on the other hand they are neighbors to the people who are logging the =
areas. Loggers have to feed their families too.

I lost a good amount of respect for the state foresters and who are =
using the larch beetle,  the spruce bud worm or whatever as a lame =
excuse to open up tracts of land to make money off it. Sure its good for =
the independent loggers who need the money but the fault lies with the =
state foresters for opening these tracts up for logging.  They might as =
well as erect a sign next to every logged out bog that says "brought to =
you by the state foresters".  Logging out large expanses of sensitive =
spruce bogs is not the answer when it comes to the flora & fauna of the =
species that are found in these habitats.  I got one email last year =
from a DNR guy saying "the mature trees bordering the bog will re-seed =
the bog" That is full of crap! It was 3 years ago that they logged out =
the bog habitats along Co. Rd 133 and I been checking on these bogs to =
see if the above statement was true and so far the aspen trees are =
moving into these logged out areas!

Here is another example of the DNR in the prime action:

I got this email from a  concern person last week about the ATVs and the =
Cloquet River State Forest.

 The system presently planned is to have the entire forest be managed =
with=20
> a few small areas as non motorized.   It leaves a great deal of the =
forest=20
> vulnerable to off trail and new trail development.    The DNR officers =

> I've spoken with off the record say they professionally oppose this =
but=20
> that the hierarchy is demanding it - Polaris and Arctic Cat being=20
> Minnesota Companies they are supported by this.   The DNR takes in =
over 3=20
> million now per year for just atvs via registration and gas taxes.   =
They=20
> spend 1.7 million on ATV enforcement, and they want MORE money for =
this,=20
> despite the fact that they have only two officers specifically tasked =
to=20
> enforce ATV laws.   The DNR is getting a LOT of money for their =
programs=20
> by pushing ATVs.

Yep that's our DNR!

You can read more by going to this website: www.friendscvsf.org

I am just plain upset with the management practices that are going on up =
in Sax Zim Bog.

Mike Hendrickson=20

Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota