A flock of about 15 white-winged crossbills visited the black spruce grove at Wilkie unit of the MRVNWR this morning.

They arrived at 9:30, stayed only a few minutes, and continued off to the north. I waited until 10:25 but they didn't return.

No one had posted about this flock/location recently and the last submitted MOU sightings for crossbills at Wilkie was 11/29/08. I wondered if they were still present, but figured with such a reliable food source the odds were good!

Diana Doyle
S. Minneapolis

Directions as posted earlier by others: Hwy 101/169 to main parking lot off 101. Proceed through gate about 1/4 mi east along River Rd (park road/frontage road).