Found a female Black-backed Woodpecker in a worked over stand of tamarack
within the St. Wendall Tamarack Bog SNA. You will need snowshoes to work for
this bird ~ 1/3mile deep into the bog.  Find your way to St. Joseph, MN, N on
CR2, Right on CR4 and after the road turns N, look for where I entered the bog
across from a long driveway 1/4 mile S of the SNA sign.  Parking not good...
perhaps on nearby driveway or crossroad. Snowshoe my trail to the tamarack edge
and then deeper into the bog till you find the active tree scrapes and see my
stillness tracks.  Also present, a family of chickadees, a downy, a tree
sparrow, (heard a couple flyover WW Crossbill and probable Red Crossbill ("kip"
sound I thought was a squirrel, but I didn't see any squirrel tracks or
evidence), and my first owl of the year last night perched on the tamarack edge
in the 5:20 twilight on my way out of the bog. mjb