Another flock of about 20 white-winged crossbills was seen about the same time in my front yard at 1113 Country Drive in Winona. This is in Gilmore Valley west of St Marys ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dedrick Benz" <benzdedr...@hotmail.com>
To: <MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU>
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 1:15 PM
Subject: [mou-net] White-winged Crossbills, Winona County

At about noon Monday, I found a flock of about 20 White-winged Crossbills in rural Winona County.

I would recommend using Mapquest over Googlemaps for navigational purposes. Googlemaps has roads mislabeled in this case.

From the town of Homer, which is just downriver from Winona on Hwy 61, head
south on County Road 15. This steep, paved road winds it's way up to farm country, and eventually comes to a T, wherein a left will keep you on 15 and a right will be Pleasant Ridge Rd. At this T, there are a few driveways and fire #s. A quick left (keeping you on 15) will bring you to Fire # 26161. At the south edge of the farmstead, there is a shelterbelt of spruce set back from the road about 50 yards behind a small corral. The birds were foraging in these spruces.

I would recommend using Mapquest over Googlemaps for navigational purposes. Googlemaps has roads mislabeled in this case. Note that MapQuest has Pleasant Ridge Rd. labeled as "Hm Township Rd 25."

Dedrick Benz
Winona, MN
Windows Liveā„¢: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect.
http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_allup_explore_012009