Today after work I headed down to black dog lake to see what interesting things
I could find to photograph. On the river I found a few hooded mergansers and
one very calm common merganser. At the south channel I heard, but did not see
the belted kingfisher that resides there, I photographed him for a while this
past weekend.

After Black Dog I headed up to the Lakeville great horned owl nest. As I parked
across the street it looked like the owl was out of the nest more then usual
but when I crossed the street to get a better angle I found that what I had
seen was the male, the first time that I have spotted him this year, as he took
off from the nest. He flew into the nearby woods where I was able to photograph
him. I decided to leave at around 4:30 so that he could get to his hunting.

On my way home I spotted a red shouldered hawk on a small pine near a large
church on 3 in Eagan. By the time that I turned around and pulled into the
church parking lot he had flown to a different branch where I was able to get a
couple more nice pics.

I am planning to run up to Sax Zim again tomorrow so hopefully I will get some
more good pics this weekend.

Thanks,
Jeff Fischer
http://ecobirder.blogspot.com/