As much as I regret it, I am asking the Red Polls or at least most of them to move on. During the 4 day GBBC I reported 568 Common Red Polls, one of the highest counts in the survey thus far, and that included a 30 minute count on Saturday, 7-7:30 AM, of 88. Given the entire day the count that day would easily have been double. I can't justify the expense any longer (50# Nyjer in 10 days) and will begin tapering off by removing some feeders. I don't want to quit cold turkey as I am hopeful my normal numbers of Goldfinches will return. I have seen only a handful of Goldfinches in the past 3 weeks during which the Red Poll counts have ranged from 150-300. I'm going to miss them especially since I know I might not see them again for several years or more. Hopefully they will all move north to the Gustavus Adolphus College campus.

John Nelson
Good Thunder MN
South of Mankato MN