Feeding the birds in China. I read in the China Daily newspaper this morning
that a village in northern Beijing's Huairou district, Yangshodixia, celebrates
China's lantern festival with a special festival of their own, the Liangqiao
Festival. It seems two families traveled to a distant village to borrow some
seeds to sow for crops so they could settle the area. While resting on a rocky
outcropping, the millet blew away in strong winds and fell into the cracks in
the rocks. Legend has it that flocks of mystical sparrows flitted in and dug
the seeds out for them. The thankful villagers kowtowed to their avian saviors
and vowed to share their harvests with the birds when food is scarce. Every
year since, Spring Lantern Festival leftovers are collected by young girls from
the village and share with the sparrows. I did not know China had such
reverence for birds and nature. Green news and topics dominate the news, much
more than in the US. The pollution is a huge problem, but there are Brown
Shrikes, Bulbuls, Magpies, Hoopoes, and Black Kites to be found in Shanghai
parks, and the green movement appears to be going somewhere. Like this whole
feeding the birds thing, perhaps this is why we do it – homage to mystical
sparrows? Be kind to the birds, our relationship may be deeper than we
suspect…Good Birding! Hău niăo guānwàng!

Mark Alt
Brooklyn Center, MN