The Sax-Zim Winter Birding Festival headquartered out of  Meadowlands was a
delight.  Helen & Dave Abramson and Mike Hendrickson  are to be commended for
working so hard to bring about this fantastic  celebration of birds. All the
volunteers who toiled there did as volunteers  do--they made life better. The
leaders and the vendors were  great.
  A bus I was in had a minor  mechanical problem as it toured the bog, but it
set us back only slightly  because help came like the cavalry. Vans and a tow
truck made sure we were back  on course  in two shakes of a gray jay's tail.
  A birder lost the memory card from his camera. He wasn't  sure where it had
deserted him. Birders travel not only for life birds, but  for life photos as
well. The loss of the memory card filled with  once-in-a-lifetime photographs
was a great loss. The bus driver took it upon  himself to search the areas
where that bus had stopped, found the tiny memory  card and returned it to the
grateful birder.
  Tucker Lutter, a 15-year old birder with enthusiasm worth  emulating , saw
his 300th bird--a Boreal Owl.
  My only suggestion for the Festival is that they sell  sweatshirts with
mustard stains already on them so that we don't have to do that  part ourselves.
  My thanks to everyone involved with The Sax-Zim Winter  Birding Festival
for making me one happy birder.
  There is nothing like having a Boreal Chickadee three feet  away from me to
drive away those winter blahs.

Al  Batt
_http://albatt.net/_ (http://albatt.net/)

steps!