On Thursday I did not fill sacks or feeders and watched theemptied to within inches of empty, it became quite chaotic late in the day. Friday I removed all but three sacks and two feeders which I filled. Numbers were greatly reduced during the day with the highest count 81. Also four Pine Siskins not seen in several weeks and 9 Goldfinches after having only 1-2 for the same period. In the past few years weekly counts of the latter have typically been in the 20-50 range. Saturday morning we woke up to a nice 3" coating of snow and pandemonium as we watched an estimated 150-200 Red Polls fighting for a place to eat. As many as 17 hanging on each 18" Nyjer sack and the ground looking like a living carpet. I reported 568 in my 4 day GBBC counts and I found counts like that only far to Northern MN and Canada- with one exception-a single count of 145 from another 56037 (Good Thunder) site. I doubt this was a coincidence and wish I knew who it was to compare notes over the past month. The question is why has this blessing from the birdistributors occured in an area where we have rarely seen Red Polls at all. I'm going to miss the joy of standing on the deck in the midst of the busy, chirping little creatures and can only hope I live long enough to see it happen again

John Nelson
Good Thunder MN
South of Mankato MN