After a few days of thinning out in my area of Duluth, the redpolls were
back in my yard this afternoon in good numbers.  This evening I decided to  go
out and spend some time with them.  With the onset of the rough weather,  these
birds only had minds for feeding so I decided to try some hand  feeding.  In
less than five minutes I had three birds on and in my  hand eating thistle with
other birds landing on my head.  This was the  first time I had tried to hand
feed these birds and it was waaaay too fun and  easy.  I wore no gloves so it
was great to feel their little claws on my  hand as they moved about.  It was
also interesting to watch up close how  they would settle disputes if one
bird came in and tried to displace another  bird from my hand.  I will miss
these
birds so much when they are  gone.  Even my daughter, who is usually less
than enthused about my bird  obsession was enthralled with our opportunities to
get up close and personal  with the Redpolls.  Life is good, even when the
weather is not :)
Take care and happy birding.
Shawn Zierman.
recession.