Eastern Bluebirds have arrived in West Central MN, Pope county.  A flock
observed south of Lake Minnewaska and a pair north of Lake Minnewaska.

Also saw one Kildeer on my farm west of Lowry, an immature Bald Eagle south of
Starbuck, one Mourning Dove in Glenwood and a flock of Longspurs west of Lowry.

I also had a pair of American Tree Sparrows at my farm on March 8 and again on
March 12.

The lakes are fully frozen at this point, the only open water is in shallow
runoff ponds in farm fields, ditches, and wetlands. They are attracting little
to no waterfowl except "resident" geese and Mallards.

Also on March 8, I observed a large flock of Snow Buntings in Pope County,
estimate at more than 200.  The interesting thing was that many birds were in
nearly full breeding plumage, white and black, some still had faint brown
markings.  They were in a field - black soil, patches of snow, interspersed
with last year's corn stalk debris.  When the flock settled into the field,
they literally "disappeared".  It was such perfect camouflage, I couldn't help
but marvel at it.

Sid Stivland
Plymouth