Earl Orf and I went to Deer River this morning to see how waterfowl
migration might be progressing.

Trumpeter Swans, Canada Geese, Common Goldeneyes, Hooded Mergansers,
Mallards, and Wood Ducks were all present in varying numbers along the
Mississippi River.  We also found several Common Mergansers on the Prairie
River in Grand Rapids.  There were a couple of Northern Shovelers and
several Killdeer on the Grand Rapids wastewater ponds.

There was a flock of Snow Buntings with some Lapland Longspurs and what I
think was at least 1 Horned Lark flushed at the rice paddies west of Deer
River.

Red-winged Blackbirds, Grackles, and American Robins were fairly easy to
come by.  We also had a singing Purple Finch, an Osprey along Hwy 2 west of
Cohasset, a Northern Harrier on Cedar Rd west of Deer River, and a
Red-tailed Hawk along 169 near Bovey.

Finally, we found 2 Gray Jays, at least 8 Boreal Chickadees, and an
unidentified flyover woodpecker that I think was a Three-toed at the bogs
along Old Hwy 6 north of Deer River.

--
Shawn Conrad
http://users.2z.net/itasca_chippewa_birding/