On Apr 20, 2009, at 8:48 PM, Al Batt wrote:
.
 Take a kid birding. Better yet, take a bunch of them  birding.

Al Batt
Hartland

I couldn't agree more Al. At my "job" at Pet Expo in Mankato, I really enjoy talking about the birds with young people who come in with their parents and/or grandparents. It is paricularly exciting to see 3-4 year olds pointing at pictures and naming the birds. I've spoken with a number of elementary school teachers, who have bird feeding stations outside their classrooms, which children are fascinated with. My theory is that the birds are always moving and they are live. Much different than moving pictures or illustrations in a book. Another class of "young people" are the just marrieds in their first house. "We'd like to feed the birds, how do we start?" Words that make my "work" day a joy.

John Nelson
Good Thunder MN